Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Art of the Bath


Who doesn’t love a good soak? At the end of a stressful day I adore a hot bath, the hotter the better. So steamy my husband has accused me of causing paint to peel off the bathroom walls. All I need is a glass of wine, candles and bath salts and life is good again. It’s my own little spa time; the misty vapors clear my mind and restore my well being. I think for many of us a bath is soothing, it can wash away our worries, aches, pains and complaints.

This little book by Susannah Marriott has become a charming little antidote to the stress knots that form in the back of my neck. It has fabulous recipes and tips for a captivating bath. The recipes contain organic ingredients, many of which you may already have in your pantry or garden. Lavender is suggested for some relaxing aromatherapy. If that’s not the remedy you seek there are all sorts of recipes that calm, detoxify, revitalize or stir up a bit of luxury and romance. Everything you need to know to create the perfect bath is here from candles, loofah, brushes, oils and music.

The effects of an aromatic bath seep in to the respiratory, skin and nervous system to reduce problems. When our muscles are relaxed our immune systems are given a boost from improved circulation. There are lots of little tidbits in there about the benefits of the bath, history, lore and traditions. Keep this little treasure handy near the bath for a “spur of the moment” soak.

"The way to health is to have an aromatic bath and scented massaged every day." Hippocrates

No comments:

Post a Comment