Saturday, September 26, 2009

Another Season Passes

We’re experiencing a few quiet weeks here at the beach. With the slow progression into fall, September brings a mix of young families, couples and retiree’s. Ocean Atlantic Rental’s has penned this “Baby Month’ as this is the season when crib rentals are at a premium. Some locals have come to call our September guests “Newlyweds and Nearly Deads”. Although one might argue the latter name is P.I.C., I confess to a silent chuckle when I hear it said.


The long line of cars parading onto our beach every week has slowed and I’ve come down with a case of the blah’s. Normally, I’m happy to leave the craziness of summer behind as I look ahead to the quieter seasons. Instead I find myself missing the smell of suntan lotion and the sounds of tourists eating ice cream from the neighboring shop. Well maybe not so much the eating of the ice cream but the enthusiasm it brings. Gone are the conversations about collecting the best seashells, visiting the light house or finding the best pizza. If you’re interested you’ll find seashells under Kitty Hawk Pier after high tide, Currituck Beach Light is just up the road and The Wave Pizza Cafe has the best pizza in town (What you weren’t expecting a plug?).


It’s not surprising that the deficit in vacationers coincides with the start of another school year. Which has brought me to the realization that my melancholy may be sparked by the absence of my youngest child? He has been newly transplanted on a college campus 5 hours away and I think empty nest syndrome may be taking hold. Experience has taught me that this too shall pass, as I have sent 2 away before him and they both returned home. I take no credit for this as my youngest son once compared my mothering technique to TV's Roseanne, he meant it as a compliment, or so

he says. I'm convinced it's my husbands cooking that brings them home; he's a wizard with a spatula.


Henry David Thoreau said it best “Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.”

No comments:

Post a Comment